Skip to main content

Fabulous Fifth Grade Readers!

Today, 24 fifth graders were rewarded for their dedication to reading! They spent the morning skyping with author Kate McMullen and meeting Roland Smith in person...what a presentation he has. The fifth grade kiddos earned this event by reading all twelve 2011-2012 Mark Twain nominees. Way to go! Upon arriving back at school, we enjoyed pizza and brownies for lunch and reflected on our morning. Huge thank you to Mrs. Arth (AD librarian) and Andrea Sumy (Director of Library Media Services) for organizing the event and making it all possible.
Comments from our morning...
"I loved listening to how the authors got inspired to write and how they got started."
"Today was totally AWESOME. I loved the authors and I got good advice from cool authors."
"I learned that it might take a long time to make a book, but it is worth it."
"I loved seeing famous people in person."
"It was great listening to Roland Smith because he was funny."
"I thought it was amazing because you got to listen to famous authors."
"The books that Kate and Roland wrote were cool books."
"I loved skyping with Kate McMullan."
"I learned that writing is revision."
"The best part of today was getting to get advice from an author I have admired. (Roland Smith)."
"The best educational field trip I have been on."
"The literature festival was AWESOME!!!"
"It was a great experience to meet the two authors."
"The best part was when Roland Smith told all of his research stories, like when he went to Kenya."
"I loved meeting the authors and really getting to know them by learning about their lives."
"Roland Smith was extraordinary."
"I love Roland Smith books."
"It was awesomely cool."
"It was fun for the authors to share their lives and books with us."
"It was so fun, I can't describe it."
"I liked getting to meet Roland Smith and ask him questions."
"We got to hear their inspirations and how the got to writing."
"I learned how to be a writer."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva