Skip to main content

BIG and Busy Week!

This is going to be a BIG week in the Lewis and Clark Maker Center!  Three clubs are beginning...6 sessions of MakerKid's Club for 2nd graders (other grade levels will follow), Page Turner's book club for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders and Storytelling Club for 4th and 5th graders.  MakerKids is a new club for us with the addition of our new MakerSpace and Page Turners will be seeing a few new ideas including Shelfies and creating "My Reading Year" journals.

Additionally, we will be voting on the designs for our LFL from 18 K-5th grade entries and celebrating our summer reading!

Plus, I will be getting ready for next week's Dot Day festivities and working on a couple of grant opportunities.  

Several great things happened last week.  A student of ours talked to us about setting up a Chess Tournament.  We are really excited that he felt empowered to come up with this idea.  We are more excited that he will be the one to organize  and run it with only a bit of guidance from us.  Plus, over the weekend, I had a fifth grader send me a video of a Rube Goldberg machine created within MineCraft.  I love that this happened!  Obviously, he has been thinking about his Rube Goldberg machine outside of class!  I also have kids coming to the MakerSpace during recess to work on their Rube Goldbergs!  Plus, several kids asked if they could work on building the perfect catapult at home. . .you betcha!  Makers gonna make:).

When I say "we" and "us" and "ours", I am referring to myself and the FABULOUS Mrs. Haynes!  What happens in the LC library could NOT happen without her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva