Skip to main content

Missouri Libraries Snapshot Day 2016

Today,  September 14, 2016 was a day to share with the world what goes on in 21st century libraries on a daily basis.  I remembered to take a few photos & post them on twitter, but below is a list of what happened in my life and library today...


  • Started my day with a stop at Starbucks for a latte for Mrs. Haynes and I.
  • Opened the library around 7:20.
  • Welcomed some kiddos who thought our bookclub started this morning instead of next Wednesday.
  • Chatted with a teacher about a way to best support a particular student.
  • Asked our nurse to check over my list of summer readers for allergy issues before our ice cream celebration.
  • Tried to trouble shoot why my Britannica database isn't working on ipads...argh!
  • Greeted students outside the library as the bell rang and we started our day.
  •  8:55 Taught my first of 6 classes of the day-5th grade 
    • We started with a book trailer highlighting a great series and moved into a discussion of books kids were reading. 
    • Worked on our first Lego WeDo 2.0 build.
  • 9:45 Second class of the day-4th grade
    • Book trailer and book talks
    • Reviewed locating citations in databases
    • Learned more about catapults in preparation for building our own.
  • 10:40 Third class of the day-3rd grade
    • Book trailer and book talks
    • Inventor inquiry in preparation for spending the year inventing
  • 11:30 Fourth class of the day-1st grade
    • Read a Show Me Award Nominee
    • Worked on storyboarding our lego builds
    • Will videotape them and share on our hallway televisions and webpages
  • 12:20 Set out materials for kindergarten
  • 12:30 Lunch duty
  • 12:55 Ate my lunch while checking emails and responding as needed.  Dumped humidifiers:)
  • 1:25 Fifth class of the day-Kindergarten
    • Practiced our library numbers
    • Practiced using shelf markers
    • Read/Build featuring Vincent Paints His House (reviewed parts of the book and fic/nonfic) along with a museum walk
  • 2:15 Last class of the day-2nd grade
    • Read a Show Me Award Nominee
    • Learned about a new section to select materials from-magazines
    • Researched (answered our questions) about robots in preparation for a year of coding and programming
  • 3:10 Classes done
    • Helped a class checking out find books
    • Shelved a few books and put some magazines away.  We have an early out tomorrow and no school on Friday so we will not have volunteers to shelve books.
  • 3:20 Whole school SSR-I am reading Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
  • 3:35 Car Rider Duty
  • Throughout the day I helped kids locate books, set goals, trouble shoot devices, put on a bandaid or two, reminded kids about choosing kind and making good choices over and over:), looked at wiggly teeth, and verified that a grant I submitted was received.
I have the best job ever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva