Skip to main content

Fourth Grade Makers: Catapults


For the past couple of years, my 4th graders have started the year with a catapult inquiry project. Each time we work through this unit, I learn something new to improve my students learning.  This
year we focused more on planning our ideas and building prototypes (they really just want to go in the MakerSpace and begin making) but we really talked about the benefit of planning.  Using the Launch Cycle Design Model, we are working through the steps to help us build a successful catapult.  

We looked at the plans for our newest school addition to reinforce why the planning process is so important and the details that are required for a successful project.




The planning and design process was taken very seriously!


       
Working in the MakerSpace during the planning process to see what materials are available for their builds.  


A prototype and the plan!


This year I am being a stickler about requiring the kids to build from their plan and not veer off course.  Some tweaks may be necessary but they need to stick with their plan or look at another one of their design ideas.  When we launch, they will need to have their plan to show as well.  In the past, many of my students have produced a catapult that did follow a plan at all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva