Skip to main content

NEKLS School Librarian Conference

I was very fortunate to be asked to present at the NEKLS [Northeast Kansas Library System] annual school librarian conference in Lawrence, Kansas.  My presentation was centered around Integrating MakerSpaces into School Libraries.  I am really glad that I attended the entire day as I learned a lot as well.  In the morning there was a great presentation about teaching students to recognize fake news and a really good session on new books for elementary library collections.  Following a really tasty lunch, there was a crowd sourced book talk for secondary library collections.  I then shared my info about MakerSpaces and the day ended with a public librarian sharing her MakerKits that rotate from library to library.  It was probably one of the most organized and informative one-day workshops that I have ever attended.  Anna Foote was in charge of the event and she did an amazing job!

Part of my presentation was a bit of hands-on learning.  We made "tricked out" bookmarks using led lights, button batteries, and conductive copper tape.  I had supplies for catapults but we just didn't have time for that.  

I love sharing my MakerSpace experiences with others.  I believe so much in learning through making that I want everyone to have the opportunity to teach with the maker mindset.  

Each week I have at least 2-3 emails from other librarians asking questions about MakerSpaces and library programming and I answer each and every one of them.  Please email me if you have any questions at angela.rosheim@lps53.org.  

Also, this Smore I created about MakerSpaces has had almost 22,000 views.  Hopefully it will help you as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva