Skip to main content

Book Trailers

Last year, I started most library sessions with a book talk, book trailer, book chat, or series highlight as a way to share the love of reading and recommend good books to our readers at LC.  I was thrilled with the enthusiasm around reading as a result of sharing books with one another.

While we viewed some really quality book trailers, I realized I wanted to give my kids a chance to show their creativity and their love of books by producing their very own movie trailers to share with our school community through various avenues.

So, over the summer I set about making plans for the beginning of the year.  As usual, I jumped in with both feet and fell in over my head:) but that is how I roll and get things done!  At Lewis and Clark there are 200 kids creating videos!  Some decided to work alone and others in small groups.

To begin, we viewed A LOT of trailers and wrote down our noticings, good and bad!  From there we selected books and began creating a plan and a storyboard to guide our work.  Most kids are producing their work with WeVideo, a couple with imovie, a few with stop-motion, and a few with Animoto.  This is my first year working in great depth with WeVideo and I am IMPRESSED with all that it can do on our ChromeBooks.

We have decided upon our success criteria and viewed a couple of our own completed videos as we continue to create videos.

We have learned so much through this process...
  1. Planning helps in the long run.
  2. Sticking with one theme and mood throughout the video (even though there are so many cool transitions and fun overlays) is hard but necessary.
  3. It is important to work on timing and the number of words that need to be read on a frame.
  4. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling ARE important!
  5. Feedback makes a better product.
  6. Time management is key to getting work done.  We have used the word urgency when thinking about our goals for each day.
  7. Being creative is a great way to learn and show our learning.
Some Pics Of Our Planning Process








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva