Skip to main content

Gearing Up For Our First Big Maker Events

Quite by accident, I started last school year with the Cardboard Challenge.  As part of our introduction to Genius Hour, we watched Caine's Arcade. After viewing it, one of my fourth grade students mentioned that she thought that we should build our own cardboard arcade games.  After a bit of panic and doubt about such a big (wild and crazy) event, my parapro and I decided we could do it. So we started gathering boxes, sending notes home about what was happening, and asking for donations.  We got started, failed along the way, and ultimately succeeded in our efforts to plan, design, and create our games.

This year, with our new MakerSpace in place, I knew that I wanted to start off the year again with a big event!  Plus, each grade level would need an introduction to the space and would need to learn what possibilities it held.  I decided that each grade level would begin the year with a maker project that would require them to use supplies from our space, work together to solve problems, adapt when needed, learn from others, and persevere when faced with failure.  So I worked this summer to find some maker projects that would work at each grade level...

                    First Grade:  Marble Mazes
                    Second Grade:  Marble Runs
                    Third Grade:  Global Cardboard Challenge
                    Fourth Grade:  Catapults
                    Fifth Grade:  Rube Goldberg Machines


I have loved seeing the excitement and buzz among the kids when I shared what each group would be working on to start the year.  To help us prepare for what we are sure to experience, we have spent the last few days learning about failure and why it is not a negative thing.  Failure, whether small or large, is essential to learning.  We have shared and discussed books like Rosie Revere, Engineer and The Most Magnificent Thing to highlight this concept.  I really want the kids to begin to realize when something doesn't work, they just need to find a better way to do it!

In the coming days, we will really begin making our plans on how to successfully complete each maker project.  I won't be making the decisions...the individual classes will be deciding how to best complete their challenge.

Following these group projects, students will begin following their own passions and will design their own Genius Hour time.  We now have so many possibilities available to us thanks to our MakerSpace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post!

This will be my last post as a teacher-librarian for Liberty Public Schools.  After 30 years of teaching, I will be retiring at the end of this school year.  I will continue teaching next year at Kansas City International Academy.  I will totally be switching roles and can't wait to help middle school students work on their reading skills.  I have already started immersing myself in middle school reading by viewing webinars, rereading several books on the topics of reading and literacy ( The Cafe Book and The Daily 5 ),  and reading several new books that will help me manage the structure necessary for successful guided reading. On the other hand, I am also going full speed in the library as well.  We are ending the year by wrapping up Genius Hour projects, art bots, creating books on topics we are passionate about, introducing next year's Missouri award books, and getting summer reading off the ground so our LC kiddos keep on reading!  Several of us are also totally reva